Apr 11, 2009

Letter of Intent for the Academy of Art University: Art, the Modern Day Veda

      While preparing for this scholarship, I wondered about the original ideas that might have motivated the creation of such a school and I found an evocative quote. Richard A. Stephens, Chairman Emeritus of the Academy of Art University said: "We are in the pursuit of truth in this World of Education...instructors instruct the things they know and practice. Artists teaching artists. Instructors instructing the truth. That's honesty and integrity, and the Academy of Art University stands for these principles."
      These ideals resonate with me not only for attending this school but are synonymous with my goals in life. I believe art should not only stand for the principles of honesty, integrity, and truth, but it should take consciousness to a higher state of perception. Art is a powerful medium in this world and through art one can become an instrument of expression and beauty.
      My inspiration and interests in the field of art are instinctive, but the meaning of this inspiration and the function of these interests became clear and purposeful throughout my continuous visits to India. Under the auspices of a saint and in the association of hundreds of pilgrims from all over the world I experienced that the search for truth is real and universal.
      After reading, studying, and experiencing in my everyday life the teachings of the essence of Vedic wisdom, and the value of this wisdom, I found that all mediums of art are instruments for uplifting human consciousness; art can be like the new "Veda" of modern civilization. My current residence in India has prompted me to finally make these interests and realizations the very purpose of my life. I have therefore developed an interest in the art of presentation whether it be film, the performing arts, broadcast journalism, or in general, multimedia communications.
      My aspiration is to learn how to master the method of artistic multimedia presentation at the Academy of Art and therefore manifest this desire to serve humanity in a way that is most natural to me– through the creative process in the association of artists and those who live for art. I also want to inspire, and become part of, a creative artistic culture that can benefit the world, an ideal similar to a comment made by Elisa Stephens, president of the Academy of Art: "Experts and futurists tell us that the future will be driven by the 'creative class'...We consider ourselves the stewards of a learning institution dedicated to teaching the truth in the artistic and creative process."
      The work I am presenting is a result of assignments I have been asked to complete during my residency in India and abroad. As the writer, editor, camera operator, and presenter of these various works it is not quite my ideal artistic presentation, but the creation of these various works has helped me realize my inner taste for artistic expression. My specific goal is to make short thought provoking films, to participate in film festivals internationally, and showcase this artwork in exhibitions worldwide. Please click on the video links to your right titled: "Samples of My Work".

No comments: